Sunday, March 23, 2014

My favourite fictional characters

Anyone who knows me also knows that I live, breathe and sleep fictional characters. Most of the time, they are much closer to me than real people themselves are. Over the years, I have been drawn to many fictional characters. As time progressed, some of them have become clear favourites of mine. Here are my top 6 fictional characters:

  1. Fred and George Weasley (Harry Potter): The famous Weasley twins. Aah! How I love them. I've always been attracted to those characters that have a sense of humour, and speak sarcasm as a language. Wit and humour are two important parts of my life, and these twins literally embody those personality traits. Harry Potter is set in the middle of a great war – equivalent to that of a world war in our world. In such desperate times, these twins try their best to make people laugh, and refuse to crumble to any kind of pressure. They maintain an admirable kind of strength, as they try to find the silver lining in such bleak circumstances as well. This to me is very admirable, hence there is no way these twins wouldn't have made it onto this list of mine.

  1. Toby Cavanaugh (Pretty Little Liars): Most of the times in fiction, a traumatic childhood is an excuse for a character to transcend into the realms of darkness. These somehow become justifications for the cruel acts that they conduct. What I love so much about Toby Cavanaugh is how he breaks that stereotype, and becomes a good man, even so much that he is the moral compass of the show. After suffering a traumatic adolescence by having to deal with sexual abuse, time in juveline deliquency for a crime he didn't commit, running away, being charged for a murder and extreme bullying, Cavanaugh never stepped onto the dark side. He stood firmly on the ground, being rooted in his morals and goodness. One more thing I love about him is how loyal he is. Without a doubt, he is one of the most loyal characters on the show. The unflinching ability he shows to put his loved one above him is remarkable.

  1. Rose Hathaway (Vampire Academy): I have never been able to resist reading books that have a strong female protagonist. Rose Hathaway is perhaps one of the strongest female characters out there. The best thing about Rose is how her life revolves around protecting her best friend, instead of any love interest. It is so refreshing to read a story that is so deeply rooted in friendship. Rose is a very loyal friend, someone who never hesitated to put herself between herself and her friend. Even though she has to esentially give up her choice of life for her best friend, she rarely complains and does her duty very well. To top it off, she probably a quick tongue, and is sarcastic at the drop of a hat.

  1. Finnick Odair (The Hunger Games): Sigh. If there is one character death I will never be over, it is that of Finnick Odair. The very popular, 'sex symbol' of the fictional town of Panem won my heart the minute he made his entrance. But what actually made me love his character so much is how layered he is. While initially he appears to be the comic relief, as one continues reading and unraveling him, you know just how deep Finnick Odair is. Not only was he forced into prostitution in order to protect his family, he also had to go into the arena for the second time. He nearly lost it when he was separated from his one true love Annie Cresta, who was feared to be tortured by the evil President Snow. His character goes through so many transformations, that it is a delight to read. And watch.

  1. Stiles Stilinski (Teen Wolf): Way before I started watching Teen Wolf, I had heard a lot about it from my friends. Most of what I heard was about this so called sarcastic little character, Stiles Stilinski. Out of curiosity, I finally gave it a try and let me tell you, it changed my life. Okay, not literally, but it did. Because in all my years of reading or watching television, I have never found a character I have related to as much as I do Stiles. He is, in every single way, a male version of me. Everything ranging from his social awkwardness to his sarcasm and loyalty, it is all me.

  1. Spencer Hastings (Pretty Little Liars): There is no character that I love more than Spencer Hastings. In fact, I admire her so much that I hope that one day I would be able to be as amazing and wonderful as her. I love that they have broken all kinds of stereotypes with her character. She is hands down the most intelligent character of the show, and constantly displays her nerdy side. Yet, this doesn't stop her from being feminine or dressy or girly. Fiercely independent, Spencer Hastings refuses to ask for help or make herself vulnerable. Yet, she is shown to be in a deeply committed relationship. All these polarizing factors is what makes me love her so much. She isn't an extreme of any particular trope, but a mix of everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment