Sunday, March 23, 2014

I am a writer. Hence I write.

Words hold a power like nothing else. To write is to create life. I have always been fascinated by writing and reading. A bibliophile since I was a little kid, writing came almost naturally to me. This is not to say that I am an exceptional writer or something, but to say that the habit, the art, it is like breathing to me. Easy and necessary.

What I love about writing is that it is a way of creating life. There is a quote that goes 'If a writer falls in love with you, you'll never die.' That concept of immortalizing someone with mere words is such a wonderful idea. It is also a really powerful feeling, a warm gush that passes through me as I write out something.

Writing is more than just a hobby for me. It is a lifestyle. Even though I don't do it everyday, it is essential for my survival. There are a few days when the urge to write is so strong that I forget to pay heed to my poor, aching, tired body and write till 5 am in the morning, conveniently forgetting that I have to go out with my parents in a few hours. But at that moment, the moment I am writing, all of that is forgotten. My mind is only focused on the characters and the stories I am trying to tell.

Many a times, I have a set plan in my mind before I start writing. There is always a beginning, a middle and an end. When I feel like it, I even have scene by scene descriptions, so all I have to do is actually pen down the words and write it. Many a times, this doesn't work. As I start writing, my characters, who I have just given birth to, decide that they don't want to go in the direction that I had planned for them. Going in the intial direction comes across as very forced and unrealistic in comparison to the direction the characters want to go in.

I still haven't understood how this works. Even though they are my creations, essentially, they break free from my shackles and truly live. It is one of the most miraculous, wondrous things about writing. Until one experiences it, they will never know how it feels. Even though at times I feel a little annoyed at how little I am sticking to the main plot, I also feel a gush of pride as my characters – my babies – decide to step out onto the world and be brave and overall awesome. I actually feel like a proud mother.

Apart from the sheer magic of writing, what I love so much about is how it lets me express my feelings eloquently. I have never been much of a verbal person – in the sense I am not very convincing verbally – so this medium has been everything to me. Many a times, I use it to communicate and convey messages that would otherwise never have gotten across. Also, it has also helped many people understand me when they read what I have written, because my writing is always from my soul.


With all of that said and done, I hope that one day I have the courage and talent in order to convert this passion of mine into a profession. I don't think I would be happy doing anything else. In fact, I don't think I can do anything else. Writing has always been my endgame, and I hope that with all the hardwork I put in, I finally make something out of it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment